Monday, June 8, 2009

Called to love even when it's not easy....

I love it when The Lord meets you right where you are. Last night my sweet friend Kara called me and said that I'd been on her heart all day and she had been praying for me. Our conversation eventually lead to the sermon that was preached yesterday at the 11:11 service.

I heard Dr. Young's version of 1 Peter but Dave Riggle's was a little different. Kara shared with me two major points from his sermon that really hit home.

"If someone offends or attacks you-it's natural to defend yourself. Self-restraint is strength-it's supernatural strength. It's radical love lived out."

Let's get real...throughout life people are going to step on our toes but we have a choice....to retaliate or show them love. Am I saying that's easy....oh my stars no! But as Christians it's what we are called to do & praise The Lord He gives us that strength because I know I couldn't do it without Him.

Dave then told a story about a soldier who was picked on over and over again by his commander. When it was done did he retaliate? Nope-he went and shined his boots....he served his commander after being humiliated by him in front of his whole squad. When the commander came to his soldier asking him why the soldier looked at him and said these powerful words..."Christ put a love in my heart for you."

Then he challenged the congregation to love and serve people even when they are unkind to them. (I'm going to unleash, I'm giving them to You.) that we can let go because our precious Savior can take it. To release them to the righteous judge the one who can handle it.

Umm I'm pretty sure the ONLY way to do this is through my sweet Jesus. Thankfully we do not have to walk this journey alone and through the grace we have been given we are able to extend that grace to others even when it's not easy.

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ Jesus forgave you."
Ephesians 4:32

No comments:

"Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert."
Isaiah 43:19

Tweet Tweet!

    follow me on Twitter

    Designed By:

    Elements by Designs by Krista